Thursday, March 29, 2012

Day 18

Maybe you can see the softness? It's lost its sandpaper feel entirely now.
My short hairdo compelled a stranger in Walmart to courageously tell me that she was facing chemotherapy for, and had recently undergone surgery to successfully remove, breast cancer. I was able to then explain my own experiences with the shaving (which she is considering doing before her hair falls out on its own) and encourage her about how low maintenance the style is and how much fun trying on scarves and wigs can be. We had a long, sweet conversation, and before she left she said how truly glad she was that she'd met me and that she felt newly encouraged facing the chemotherapy and baldness.
So thank you, buzzed hair, for allowing me to humbly connect with a woman at just the right time. Who knew a simple hairstyle, or lack thereof, could do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment