Thursday, March 8, 2012

Welcome to The Bald Ginger


I will be going bald in two days. This is sort of out of the norm for a girl I suppose, but I'm pretty excited about it. Today I am a natural redhead with lovely locks that always seem to be the first thing people notice when they meet me. I am always appreciative of their comments on its color and thickness, but honestly, I have nothing to do with it; it's just the hair that grows out of my head. I've always loved to braid it, put it up, wear it down or get fancy for a wedding or special occasion. Like many other women, it's somehow more than just a part of me- especially being ginger, I have even come to appreciate the many jokes and myths associated with a flaming mane. I imagine I will feel naked without it, but in two days it will all be gone. At least, temporarily.

Why am I doing this?

I don't have cancer.
I don't have alopecia.
I don't have trichotillomania.
I'm not going bald from emotional distress.
I'm not going bald as a fashion statement.
I don't have to shave it for health or occupational reasons.

So, why am I doing this?

Although I stand behind every person who can say the opposite to at least one of my previous statements, I am specifically raising awareness and funds for children's cancer research through the St. Baldrick's Foundation, which awards more dollars in grants to fund children's cancer research than any other organization besides the U.S. government. Essentially, I will be a walking supporter of everyday children and their everyday families who are experiencing the terribly out-of-the-ordinary health challenge that cancer presents in a young person's life. I'll even wear an "Ask Me Why I'm Bald" pin on the front strap of my crossbody messenger bag. Might even wear one on the back, too, now that I think of it.

This will be my diary of what I experience in terms of individual reactions to my female baldness as well as my own thoughts on the growing-out process. There will be one photo added every day, and I hope to combine them into a flipbook after one year.

So come on in, take your hat, wig, scarf, cap, turban, beanie, and vanity off, and sit awhile. I'm glad you're here. Let's make bald beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment